Sunday, January 11, 2009

The day the Post Office got lucky...

So when I married Thomas I inherited 3 beautiful niece/nephews. I was SO excited for Christmas this year. I could not wait to let the spoiling begin with the the little ones. Thomas and I went out and got them the perfect gifts, keep in mind they are all under the age of three! They were these stuffed animals that turn into a soft pillow. Kinda like the one picture below.


Then I got busy gathering fun stuff for Thomas' family. We just got skype a little while ago, and since Thomas' sister has the internet and a lap top we decided to get them a web cam so we can talk. (Reminder for the future, next time you get a web cam make sure there is an internal mic... yeah otherwise it could kinda dampen your plans :)) Anyways... by the beginning of November we were pretty much done with all our shopping. But we kicked our own butts by procrastinating the grand ship off. So the Saturday before Christmas, December 19th. Because the box was so big we had to ship it parcel (never again will I make that mistake). I knew that there was a great chance that our gift would turn out to be more like a New Year's Eve gift, haha. We now know that next year we will ship it off much earlier.


Well New Year's Eve came around and well... Santa had not quite arrived. January 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th arrive and no gifts. I get home early from work and I decide to call the post office. You would have been proud of me, while I was on the phone I was able to curb my annoyance with the USPS, and my intention to sue, funny I know. The summary form the man at the post office was that after 30 days I could claim a lost parcel request and that they would go look for it. I asked if I would be reimbursed anything, he said no. My anger grew. I asked what I could do if they do not find it in the missing parcel pile, and he said "nothing really." I was now fired up. I remained calm and decided I would wait until I could fill out the form. I marked in on my calendar and was ready to rock'em and sock'em when the 18th rolled around. So I call up my brother, a recent law grad and California bar passer and ask him what my right are. He laughed at me and said suing the USPS would be impossible and I would pay more in court fees, yadda yadda yadda. But I was like "I did not pay them $50 dollars to ship a TON of gifts for it to just get absorbed in the system. I just didn't. They said I could track my item because it was too large, they tacked on overage fees because it was too large, assured my I would not get lost because it was so large. I was not offered a chance to ensure any of it... I mean they totally screwed us over! Allison Amos does NOT go down that easy." My brother, kinda chuckled at me only the way an older/wiser brother can...


Lets just say that God was watching out for the USPS because on January 8th my package arrived, almost 20 days later. I will no longer be suing the federal government. I will also no longer use their services, sad day they were so convenient. Sometimes convenience can be more risky too. Anyone else have a funny/angering mail story?? Trust me writing about it can be therapeutic, it can also make you realize how irrational your gut instincts are, or at least how mine were! Anyways, USPS you better watch it, I gots my eyes on you sucker!


Wedding memory:

We had all our men wear suit for the wedding. We bought them through JC Penny! We got a smoking deal on them. We had all the guys get their measurements and try their suits on, expect Thomas' brother. We just guessed and prayed his suit would fit. The morning of the wedding every groomsmen and GROOM had fitting issues. The most noticeable was Thomas' cousin Devon. He looked like the white country mafia man. Overall Thomas has the funniest fitting story of them all, but I will save that for another time and day. Oh, and if you were wondering his Thomas' brother's suit fit: like a glove! Go figure...
Pray with us as we are praying that the LORD keep the Holloman's safe on their move to Kentucky. Pray for us while we are trying to upgrade our jobs during this hard time. We love you all!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You need to be a writer. I was like completely enthralled in this story. For a minute I held a grudge against the USPS. Other than our rude post man I don't have any complaints against them yet. Thanks for entertaining me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks whit! I am trying to get into this whole writing thing to prep me for a few papers I have coming up. Plus it always helps groom my typing skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had my share of problems with them too! Once we got an anniversary card 1 year after it was mailed!! The auburn postal service because it went thru montgomery was terrible. And they wonder why folks don't want to us them! UPS is better!

    ReplyDelete